A Review of May

This month has been a challenging one with obstacles that have tried to slow me down. I set myself a few goals for May: to hit every Apple watch activity goal each day (burn 340 calories, 1 min standing time, exercise for 30 minutes), to lose the weight I had gained from lock down, and to quit the late night eating. It was all going well until Memorial Day weekend. It rained all afternoon on Sunday and I had not yet finished my Apple watch goals, but I put a raincoat on and went walking in the rain to get it done. I was only a week away from the end of the month and was not going to let rain fail me. The next day, Memorial Day, we went out for our morning bike ride and I fell. Banged up my knee and a few fingers, we weren't sure if I was going to be able to go back on another bike ride or even speed walk but I was ok. After a few hours of rest, I got back on my bike and finished the goals. This made me think of other obstacles that get in my way for other life goals. Sometimes I concede to them and others I fight thru to get that goal accomplished. With my birthday approaching, it made me think of goals that I have but have not yet put the steps in motion to get them done. Doing these health goals and achieving them was just the momentum that I needed to push myself for those other goals. Do you allow bad weather to stop you from working out? What obstacles are stopping you from achieving your goals?

Is anyone else drinking way more during this lock down? JP and I ordered our third case of Stags Leap Wine... third. We usually only order 2 a year. We have also almost reached our alcohol money for the year, which means, we really need to reel it in and adjust our budget moving forward. Below you will find our spending for May on food and alcohol.

Like I said, you will see we spent a lot of money on alcohol. About $450 of it is for the third (don't judge me) Stags case of wine and the remainder is other wines and champagnes. The beginning of May, we enjoyed a lot of champagne. It was fun. But this means, we need to be intentional with our wine purchases. I think we did pretty good on the take out and delivery purchases and we did eat some damn good food this month. If we couldn't leave our house, we decided we needed to get more excited about the food we were cooking, so we had a crab boil, slow smoked ribs, oysters, steak, dim sum and Chinese take out which is always great, and other date nights at home. I hope we continue to eat out less in 2020 and eat in amazing meals. 


Moving on to our other budget lines... 

We had a big auto month with switching out our tires, an oil change and getting a new driver's license. JP and I both paused our yoga and boot camp classes. We tried to get into the online videos but it is just not the same. Instead, we work out in our basement, go on bike rides, and took back up running and speed walking. With that said, I cannot wait til my yoga studio opens back up, I miss it so much! We also ordered our skincare and hair care products that we were running low on. I am a huge fan of Drunk Elephant and although their products can run pricey, they do work, I highly recommend. We also purchased a new kitchen faucet since ours was old and leaking. Our kitchen is starting to seem like a dream kitchen with our new faucet, new cabinet and fresh paint. Not including the alcohol, I think we had a good month of spending. Even though our spending was up for the month, we budgeted for these items, with the exception of the wine, which we took out of the next paycheck after we ordered it. I can be really hard on us sometimes when it comes to our budget, but in the end, I think we are doing just fine.

Our June financial goals are to stow down the alcohol purchases and to build our emergency fund up for added security. Other goals I have: Read 2 books, run a mile or bike every morning, and to create a dream board and the steps I need to take to accomplish some new goals. It is going to be a great month and I am really hoping Sushi Den opens soon. Another thing that we do during the month of June is evaluate our budget we have established for the year. We will do this during the first week of June and make any changes necessary, like our alcohol budget. 

What goals do you have this month? What are your vices? Please share, like and comment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

$300 Tax Deduction

Payroll Taxes

Holiday Season 2020