We got iPhone 11 Pros

When you are needing a new cell phone, do you just go out and buy it? Do you budget for it? Lease it? Something else?

JP and I are allowed to get new phones every 4 years. JP got his iPhone X in 2018 and this year I was up for my iPhone 11 Pro. Just thinking about spending over $1,000 on a new phone was hard to swallow. So, I kept waiting for any sort of deal to come along, and it finally did. Verizon was offering a buy one iPhone, get one iPhone free deal. So, JP and I both were able to get new phones this year. We switched from Tmobile to Verizon. It took a few trips talking to the Costco guy at the cell phone stand to feel good about switiching over. Was the monthly services prices going to be the same? Tmobile paid our Netflix bill, does Verizon pay for a streaming service? We have unlimited at Tmobile, does it make sense to do that at Verizon? I did the math, slept on it for a while and then took the plunge before Verizon removed that offer. Which, as of me writing this post, Verizon is no longer offering that deal. Perfect timing. Also, if you go thru Costco, you get additional discounts.

I mentioned in my previous post that we have a flywheel account (that post is coming soon). Again, this is just a holding place for future purchases, bills, etc. And one of those future purchases are our iPhones. What we do is save up over a 4 year period for a new phone purchase. Because we decided to go with the iPhone 11 Pro 256GB, we will be moving to a 5 year new phone plan. I increased our price, since it appears cell phone prices are only going to increase over time. It feels good to buy anything when you have money in your account that is set aside for that specific purchase. When we signed up for the Verizon plan, the Costco guy had informed us that we had to select a payment plan to get the deal. This was fine with us, only because there is no interest included in this payment plan. Had there been interest in the plan, I would have had to do the math to see if it was worth it. 

We have new iPhones and now we can also sell JP's iPhone X. This should also bring us in a few hundred dollars and we are even more on top because of that. He took great care of his phone so it will not be hard to sell. Win!

Some of you may be thinking that I am overthinking a cell phone purchase. A smart phone, in my opinion, is not a right but a privilege. If you cannot afford a new phone, you shouldn't buy one. We can afford new phones and, to me, it sucks spending a lot of money on a phone. I thought about all the things I could buy like diamond earrings, a new closet full of clothes, a new fridge, etc. I had the iPhone 6S Plus and it was basically ending it's life. If I wanted to call someone then I had to put it on speaker to hear, my battery life was awful, I ran out of space so it started to delete my contacts and I couldn't take pictures on it anymore. And I love taking pictures... of everything. I didn't have to wait for a deal to come along, I could have purchased the new iPhone the minute it came out... but I did wait and it was worth it. Now I don't have to think about getting a new phone for another 5 years. And when that time comes, I will have the money set aside for that new phone.

Do you buy a new phone when you need one without another thought? Or are you like me who methodically thinks it over? What do you do? Be sure to comment and subscribe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

$300 Tax Deduction

Payroll Taxes

Holiday Season 2020